Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    03.18.2024 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

    March 18 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌙 77 °F

    Today we are visiting Kuala Lumpur. The capital of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur was built by Chinese tin prospectors in the mid-1800s.
    Since then, the city of KL, as the locals call it, has grown into a stunning mix of colonial, Moorish, Tudor, neo-Gothic and Grecian-Spanish architecture. The two-story shophouses of Old Market Square, with storefronts below and residences above, reveal the lives of merchants. The magnificent Petronas Towers are the centerpiece of this fascinating city; the side-by-side twin spires resemble a pair of rockets, connected by a two-story sky bridge that spans the 41st and 42nd floors.
    We have an 8 hour optional excursion with Viking, called “Kuala Lumpur's Blue Mosque & Other Highlights.”
    Here are the details:
    Ride from port past impressive new developments, then enjoy a photo stop at the landmark Blue Mosque. The largest mosque in Southeast Asia, it can hold 24,000 worshippers.
    Next is the National Monument, a bronze statue honoring soldiers who died during the Communist Insurgency in the 1950s. It was designed by Felix De Weldon, who also created the Iwo Jima monument.
    Stop briefly and view Independence Square, including the Sultan Abdul Samad Building and Merdeka 118. The second tallest building in the world after Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
    Our next visit was to ride to the top of the needle-like Kuala Lumpur Tower for 360-degree views.
    Next we stopped for a photo of the world's tallest twin skyscraper, Petronas Towers.
    After lunch we had time at the Karyaneka Handicraft center to shop for peter, crystal, glass, and textiles. We didn’t buy a thing.
    It is extremely hot and of course very humid. Real feel of 101.
    Our guides says they have 3 seasons every day; hot, very hot and super hot.
    Following our tour we returned to our ship.
    We had dinner tonight in the Restaurant with Terry and Beth.
    It was very good. Dessert was one of the best!
    A beautiful sunset over the Andaman Sea.
    Read more