Satellite
  • Day 107

    London

    July 6, 2022 in England ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    Miles: 5.7 Steps: 14784
    Flights stairs: 39

    Spent the day seeing just a few sights. We started with St Paul’s cathedral, another crazy beautiful church. I can’t help but think as I sit in each of these of the waste of resources and space tho. At the time these were built, there were so many people who were in such need. Certainly could have been a better use of the money it seems, then building these massive ornate cathedrals. But, what do I know. 🤔

    We then headed over and took a tour of the Tower Bridge. 432 people worked on the bridge; only 10 people died. For those times, probably not too bad. Walked up and back down 235 steps.

    Then we kept walking and went through the Tower of London - basically a big old mid-evil fort on the waterfront. It had been remade so much (and gift shops added everywhere) that it seemed like it was built this decade. Compared to other historical castles we’ve been thru, somewhat disappointing. The outside looked much more “historic” than the inside, but it was still hard to not notice all of the “improvements” that shouldn’t have been there.

    We bought the “London pass” - basically pay a flat fee to see as many sites you can in 48 hours. It definitely pays off with just a few places because London charges sooo much to see the sites. With the pass, came access to a roofless, double decker “hop on/hop off” bus. It was a great vantage point to see the sites and the modernistic skyline - and fun with the wind in your hair. Nice idea, but in the end didn’t work very well. In London just way too much traffic so we just sat there not moving for much of the trip. 😩 Glad we didn’t actually pay the £40 to use it and that it was “free” with the card.
    Read more