Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Melbourne Adventures

    September 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    After a nice sleep in due to a persistent headache, we got up and headed to brunch. Storm, Xave, Jackie, Erin (Storm's roommate) and I headed to the Cheeky Monkey. It's a cute little half cafe half florist. We sat on the outdoor patio which was covered and heated and surrounded by a growing wall. The food was amazing and the atmosphere was great, especially once the rain started and it was trickling down the growing wall.

    Next we headed off into the city. Melbourne us an amazing mix of old and new, it actually reminds me a little bit of Vancouver and a bit of Seattle. Our first stop was ACMI which is the Australian Centre of moving images. Basically a museum of the history of Australian film. Kind of a neat experience to see all the different actors and movies that are Australian.

    After our education, we made our way to Hosier Lane, which is a lane dedicated to graffiti. It's legal to do it in these lanes, and it is quite amazing. Hard to describe it or even express it through photos. It's more of a must see kind of thing. There are also little bucket of chalk so that us less talented can do our own drawings on the walls.

    Basically the rest of the day was a architectural walking tour. We went through the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology that puts our BCIT to shame. Not that it's that hard. But it's such a nice building. We went to the State Library which was aparently modeled after the Library of Congress is D.C. It is the stereotype library that you see in movies with the study desks and the green lights. The main study are is a large circle with a dome that provides so much natural light. Our last little adventure was to Melbourne Central. The last photo here, it used to be just the tower that was unused. So when they refurbished the area they made it the focal point of the design. It's a really cool building.

    After a long afternoon of walking in the cold we grabbed a bubble tea and hopped on the tram to head home.

    Tram ride ✔
    Iced vovos ✔
    Caramelo koalas✔

    👣's: 15210 - 12.0 km
    Read more