Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Four Dead Presidents & Crazy Horse

    August 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    An early start this morning from Keystone , we travelled the short distance to Mount Rushmore. It is a very impressive site, and you can only marvel at the engineering genius of the sculptor and the workers to complete the task of carving outWashington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Lincoln out of granite using dynamite at such lofty heights. Fortunately, no plans to add Trump.

    Not far from Rushmore is the Crazy Horse Memorial. This was commenced in 1948 at the request of a number of Indian chiefs to acknowledge the cultural significance of the Black Hills of South Dakota to the Native American Indian people. And possibly not to be out done by Rushmore. The project is entirely privately funded, and a single family drives the project. It reminded us of Gauci's Sagrada familia in Barcelona for the length of time it has been in progress, and will be until it is finished. You can see the pic of what it is now, and the white sculpture is what it will be when it finishes... They are currently working on the hand...

    So, completing this visit, we are making the long dash back to Jackson Hole, Wyoming set for an early morning flight to end in Phoenix Arizona tomorrow. Grand Canyon lookout!
    Read more