Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Mana Pools

    May 27, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After Chitake Springs we are happy to settle into a quieter and more tranquil environment for the next couple days and Nkupe Campsite on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River is just the spot.

    The views from our campsite are just idyllic with a greenbelt of grassy marshland where we can birdwatch to our hearts content in the forefront and the sparkling wide river behind home to so many hippos we have lost count. One afternoon we count over 45 out of the water on the Zambian riverbank opposite us and at night it feels and sounds like one big hippo party with the most incredible sounds resonating throughout the night. We all wake up laughing one morning as there is one hippo right by our campsite who has the most long winded baritone song which he mournfully bellows for at least an hour before dawn !

    At Mana Pools you are allowed to get out your vehicle and walk around ( with a permit ) which first seems a little crazy to us without a ranger; however makes sense when we realise the landscape here is full of large open spaces inland and open riverbanks overlooking the Zambezi River. It doesn’t take us long to enjoy stretching our legs on an early morning bird walk from our camp alongside the river and it’s so peaceful to hear all the sounds of Nature around us and be out the vehicle. We spend a long time at a pool where Little Bee eaters and Pied Kingfishers are hunting and spot a terrapin and 2 crocs. The huge trees all around are green and full of birds and while we are walking back we spot a beautiful Eland peeping out between two trees perfectly framed.

    Every evening we choose to stay at our campsite as the sunset and colours over the waters change into a pallet of oranges to pinks to lilac and we relax into harmony with our natural surrounds as another deep orange sunrise starts each day.

    Mana Pools is named after its four large inland pools lending a magical feel to this diverse landscape which is dotted with gigantic trees where the elephants apparently stand up on their hind legs to eat the thorntree pods every winter season. The pools are like green oases in the surrounding dusty dry plains and are filled with lilies. One morning we spot a flock of grey headed parrots coming down to drink and another day we see a hippo in disguise under a full head of green water plants and lilies.

    We are rapidly falling in love with Mana Pools and could happily stay here for much longer. Throughout our stay we are on the look out for the Painted Wolves which are well known in the park and are denning at the moment but have been seen out and about hunting in the early dawn by the research team. On our last day we head for this region again and are thrilled to see 10 Spotted Hyena with an impala kill. We have been hearing them every night around our camp and throughout our trip but haven’t been lucky to spot one yet and now we are blessed to see 10 at the same time !

    Mana Pools we will be back.
    Read more