Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    A village visit

    May 17, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We are off to Motopo Hills but before we get there we are visiting a tiny village near Chipingi where we have promised to spend time with a very special family, the family of Matts work friend now best buddy in Cape Town appropriately named Heavens.

    Heavens family consists of Mama Joyce who takes care of his two children Jnr Joyce 11 years and Gareth 7 years. Under her extended care umbrella also falls Heavens sister Patience with her 3 children and another 4 grandchildren from his brothers side. This family arrangement is very common in Zimbabwe where jobs are scarce and salaries too low to provide for a family. Heavens works in Cape Town as a plumber apprentice living in one of South Africa’s many sprawling townships where violence is rife and sends all his hard earnings back home. To his family and all those he meets he is a blessing and Matt has been in constant communication with him to plan this day.

    We meet Freedom his brother at Birchenough Bridge and he hops in our vehicle to guide us to the village. First stop is sister Patience’s house where hugs and a gathering of children of all ages greets us and we are ushered inside her immaculately cleaned home to make formal introductions. It soon becomes apparent that the whole village is involved in our much anticipated visit and part of the planning is to stop at all the family members homes, sitting and sharing smiles laughs ( and tears at the high emotion of the day ) and stories together.

    The culmination is at Mama Joyce’s home where she gives us the warmest of welcomes dancing and ululating as we spill out the cars as one big happy family together with brothers, sisters and kids and are drawn into hugs with tears of happiness. Her home is the heart of the family with a larger living room where all gather communally for all occasions. We sit around the circumference of the room with all the children in the middle and Mama Joyce says a prayer of gratitude for our visit to her village and home followed by family members sharing stories. The children join in reciting adorable poems and songs learnt at school.

    Slowly but surely more and more neighbours arrive to be part of the celebrations. Photos and more photos are taken, babies held, gifts given, grandmothers enjoying biscuits and kids lollipops and then it’s time for us to be on our way. We leave from the village everyone waving and smiling with our hearts so full. What we have shared together this day is priceless a part of the heart and soul of Zimbabwe and we will never forget.
    Read more