Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Chimanimani Mountains

    May 18, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    The road winds up and up bringing us closer to our destination high in the mountains for the next 4 nights. We pass forestry plantations and village homesteads with terraced vegetable gardens and everything is a hundred shades of green wherever we look. Chimanimani is like a completely different world which we are rapidly discovering is the norm when you are moving from place to place in Zimbabwe.

    The magic of the mountains entrances us and the change of climate is cooler with temperatures dropping below 10 degrees at night perfect for fireside evenings in our home from home at Frog and Fern Lodge.

    We are tired after lots of driving and perhaps are also finally unwinding after all the planning and tying up life back home to go on this extended several month trip, so we spend the entire next day relaxing in the tranquil gardens at our lodge.

    The next morning we are up bright and early for a hike with Timothy our guide and a long term friend of Peters. We leave from our lodge taking a circular meandering path through the mountains and then alongside the river into the Chimanimani Park renowned for its incredible waterfalls. We reach the Bridal Veil Falls legs stiff after a good few hours walking with 6 weeks mostly sitting in a vehicle and jump into the clear refreshing waters of the pool below, pure bliss. This waterfall is really high with “veils” of crystal white water cascading over the rocky mountain face into the huge pool below.

    Just when we thought it couldn’t get any better we take another day trip and walk to Tessa’s Pool, a waterfall with the most magical secluded clear water swimming pool below surrounded by lush vegetation, ferns and hanging rock aloes. We spend the afternoon diving and having fun jumping into the pool.

    Chimanimani is really the most special paradise. It’s a shame that most of the old buildings like the hotel are run down and obviously struggling to see enough visitors through their doors. The central food market in the village is full of colorful fruits and veggies and we buy the best avocados and watermelons from there to take with us on the road. We feel relaxed and rejuvenated after our 4 days here and are ready for our next destination…the capital of Zimbabwe Harare.
    Read more