Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Our first day in Lisbon Pt 1

    October 25, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Our friendly host here in our apartment gave us many tips about what to see in Lisbon. Really, if you are happy to walk you can see so much, but if you want to take a “tourist trap” tram you can see even more without the sore feet.

    We decided to walk into town this morning to see a little and visit the main Tourist Information Centre, post some postcards and change some Aussie dollars for Euros. Funnily enough we managed to do all of these things before midday, as well as buy another T-shirt for Robyn, this time one with Lisbon on it. Typical tourist!

    We found a post office point, not actual office, but a point that sold stamps and you could post according to type of mail. It was very well done, and so in no time we had bought 5 stamps and put the postcards in the International slot. Little things like that show how much better other countries do some things than Australia.

    While strolling around we found a museum dedicated to money. It was contained in a huge building that had originally been a church but had been bought by the Bank of Portugal in the 1930s and used as a head office. Entrance was free so we went in, were put through airport type security and saw a very interesting history of money, from the first coinage in 7th century BC through to the introduction of the Euro in Portugal.
    Read more