Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Views from outside the CN tower

    March 16 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 46 °F

    First step was to remove anything that could possibly fall off: all jewelry (including wedding rings!), shoes that don't have laces, scarves, gloves, etc. Then they put us in a jump suit and gave us approved gloves, hats, shoes, lanyards for our glasses, etc. Then we got into the harness. It made me feel really good that they had four separate people check our harness, most of whom checked it at least twice. They were not leaving anything to chance.

    One of the last things they told us before we headed out was to not spit over the edge. I couldn't help myself from asking if grown adults really needed to be told that, and the look on the guide's face said, yeah, they kind of do.

    Another thing I noticed was that some of the safety procedures they had in place were not just to keep us safe from accidents or stupidity, but to foil anyone's attempt to do themselves harm. For example, the harnesses were secured with a carabiner that was screwed down to lock, but then they added a plastic zip-tie, so that we couldn't unscrew it if we wanted to.

    Finally once we we all strapped in to the overhead system, we all headed out to the ledge that is roughly 1000 meters above the ground. It felt extremely windy, but it wasn't like we were being buffeted off our feet. It just kind of felt like it. Fortunately, we could go around to the lee side of the tower, where it was just mildly breezy.

    Then our guide (Betty) got us to progressively lean more and more out over the edge and finally, we posed for pictures. It was funny how we went from being really freaked out when we first stepped out, to being (almost) comfortable hanging in mid-air.

    All in all it was a most fun event and I would totally do I it again if I had the chance!
    Read more