Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6 - Brandberg Mountains

    August 10, 2023 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    First day of not driving! And boy did we take it slow. We had nice sleep in, before we were awoken by the birdies. The beautiful blue sterlings and their defined song as well as the Lion's king-Zazou-looking African Hornbill. Checked in our bird book of course!

    After a morning of chilling it was time for the first laundry of the trip. Feeling all Little House in the prairie there for a second, cleaning our undergarments with some savon de Marseille!

    Time to head to the lodge for a good relaxing session by the pool. Under our cooling canopy, enjoying a great read, for Leo "the art of not giving a f*ck*, very adequate in that situation one would say; and for Lars, his 4th attempted read of "Isaac and the egg".

    An easy lunch under the trees, fairly distracted by the 2 local meerkats having a go at the grass to find some juicy worms.

    At the end of the afternoon we decided to leave the camp and find a nice spot for sundowners on one of the big boulders down the river bed. We picked up some drinks and snacks and were ready for great apéro - thanks to Marie for her imported charcuterie boards!

    Barely a few hundred meter away from the camp, we saw the most incredible sight! A single elephant having a dinner in the trees. What a fantastic surprise for what was just supposed to be a little sunset drive!

    With the orange rays taking over the blue skies, we quickly left good old Eli to his frolicking and found a spot to enjoy jamon iberico con sol rojo. Feeling immensely grateful for nature's gift.

    Back at the camp with finished the day with the most Afrikaans dinner of all, chakalaka and boerworst!
    Read more