Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8 - Damaraland

    August 12, 2023 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    Waking up nice and early from the surprising cold and morning dew, we jumped on the opportunity to hike up another koppie to watch the sunrise. Much like the sunset, this one was neon red and quickly warmed up the plain.

    A quick brekky and packy later we were back on the road to Twyfelfontein for more bushmen paintings. Funnily enough our guide for this new it as also named Sam, a very knowlegable and friendly guy. Spending half his time guiding in Etosha or Sossuvlei and the rest here, in his hometown.

    Twyfelfontein has a massive concentration of paintings, over 10000 in the area on more than 250 rocks. All created some 2000 to 6000 years ago as a means to communicate with other tribes about the local animals and water points; to converse with the gods; to educate the next generations and to leave a cultural print of their traditions.

    We witnessed how far the San would travel in a life time by seeing some out of place paintings clearly not from the desert. A seal, a hippo and a penguin to name a few. Incredible to think these same paintings can be found close to Cape Town and all the way to the Drakensberg.

    Hopping back in the car to reach our next stop a few kilometers away: Madisa camp.
    Perfectly set up at the bottom of a massive boulder Koppie on the bed of the river, a great stop for travellers.

    Quickly setting up camp (we're so fast now!) and heading for a nap by the pool until the first colors of sunset started showing. Climbing up the 50m high koppie for a bright red sunset. Only made more beautiful by the dust line of occasional car driving into the light, creating a very cinematographic effect.

    We decided to go out for dinner for a change, a massive kudu steak from the braai. While we waited we had the decisive game of Yahtzee. Lars unfortunately had nothing going against Leo's back to back Yahtzees!

    We ended the evening with a lovely stroll under the fabulous stars back to our tent and it was the end of another amazing day in the Veul-Foubert Nami-moon
    Read more