Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9 - Damaraland to Etosha

    August 13, 2023 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Drive : 275km / to date: 2600km

    Waking up on another chilly morning, we sat in the first rays of sunshine and prepared a classic road trip breakfast. Nothing like the smell of bacon grilling and fresh coffee brewing!

    Time to head on the next part of our journey: Etosha here we come!

    A quick pretrol stop in the little town of Khorixas, an hour away from Madisa Camp.
    The a further 2 hours until the bigger town of Outjo - clearly a town designed to host all the travelers to and from Etosha - where we stocked up on some fresh food had a quick lunch at the local bakery.

    From Outjo it was only a short ride before we arrived at Etosha Trading Post, our camp for the night. At only 4km from the entrance gate of the park, this camp was the perfect spot to start the game drive part of our trip. We quickly unpacked the car and headed straight into the park for a afternoon drive.

    A quick "check in" at the gate and we were hitting the dust for our first safari drive of the trip. We immediately saw a family of Oryxes welcoming us along with more Springboks than any rugby fan could dream of.

    Under the hot sun of the afternoon we didn't expect to see too much wildlife but were still greeted by zebras, korhaans, drongos, many termites hills and the sight of the day, a rhino hiding in the bushes.

    Reaching the gate just on time for closing at 6.30pm with the beautiful colors of the sunset.

    Back at camp in no time, we enjoyed a fresh beer and snack while preparing the fire for dinner: Thai green curry in the potjie. Our Afrikaans friends would be so proud!
    Read more