Satellite
  • Day 61

    Harpers Ferry 1023.7

    July 3, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    On the way to our personal goal we started early and super motivated to Harper's Ferry. The first part was quite an easy hike and we moved pretty quickly. After the breakfast we got slower because Julia's knee started to hurt with every step. And the last part before Harper's Ferry went over the Shenandoah River along a highway which was extremely humid and loud. As we arrived at the Appalachian Trail Headquarters I finally got my thru hiker hangtag :) And we registered ourselves to the official book of the thru hikers. We raided the hiker box there for a pack of Ramen Soup and then enjoyed a coffee and achieving our goal. I quickly went to the post office as our trail angel Sketch had sent us a care package with Elevation bars :)
    Outside of the headquarters we met a nice guy named Corn Chips. We chatted a bit about the trail and the challenges we've already overcome. He offered us to stay with him in the Town's Inn as he rented a room there with several beds. We gladly accepted the offer because we didn't have any place to stay yet and the hostel is about five miles away the center. He told us a bit about his volunteer work as a fire fighter and medic.
    After a small lunch we relaxed at the hotel, washed our clothes and sorted our stuff. We went to a restaurant in the evening with Corn Chips and Honeybadger but after two burgers I was still hungry, so we walked about two miles to a 7/11 and got us some treats :)
    Read more