Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Naracoote Caves

    February 9, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Brett and I are trying to get into a bit of a routine and get some exercise in, so we set the alarm for first light and got up and explored the little town of Pinnaroo. They had a free animal sanctuary on the street with kangaroos, emus and some other birds. Then we walked down to the wetlands. There was so many turtles, someone must feed them because as soon as they saw us they all came swimming over. Then last stop, the bakery for a vanilla slice doughnut.

    Once we got back and got everyone up, we headed for Naracoorte Caves. Brax was excited to go to the fossil centre, as last time we were there Lachlan was sick and we had to give it a miss.

    The kids were amazed by the recreations of the caves and the animals from the prehistoric times, they were gasping, pointing and could not stop pointing out all the different features.

    We also did a self-guided tour of the Stick Tomato Cave.

    Then we headed out to the local man made swimming lake to cool off. It was made by locals and volunteers in the 60’s and was funded by donations at around $8000. When they had to re concrete it in the 90’s it coast over half a million dollars. It is filled with boar water.
    Read more