Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Exploring Capitol Reef National Park

    March 3, 2023 in the United States

    Another breathtaking National Park. We set off to just do the scenic drive today as we were both not feeling the best, we both had nauseous feelings.

    First stop was for the Panoramic View Point and the Goosenecks just outside of the National Park. I tried to take photos to show just how spectacularly high these cliffs are but the photos just don’t do it justice. Truly breathtaking and awe inspiring.

    A little more of a drive and a stop off at Capitol Reef Visitors Centre which has been one of the best set out visitors centres we have visited. A couple of small souvenirs bought and then we were back in the car to do the scenic drive.

    Through the Historic Fruita district which is an old Mormon settlement that dates back to 1895. We will explore this more closely tomorrow. Onwards to the Grand Wash.

    The Grand Wash is a seasonal riverbed that you can walk in the dry season. It is prone to flash flooding so if there are storms or heavy rain predicted you aren’t allowed to walk the trail as there is literally no where to go if the water rushes through.

    Oh my what magnificent scenery through the wash. From wide river bend into the Narrows, from sand, to rock to snow - truly amazing.

    We walked about 13kms which was exactly what we both needed as we both started to feel much better.

    After the walk, we drove the rest of the scenic drive which has many spectacular scenes.

    On the way out, you can stop at the ruins of an old uranium mine. There are warnings about visiting this site as there is a radiation risk so we didn’t visit but took photos from afar. You can see the timber slats that hold up the tunnels of the mines.

    Torrey definitely is quiet at this time of year. We are staying at a hotel that has about 60 rooms and we are the only people staying here. Another car was here last night but we are unsure if that is the night employee or another tourist. Another car has just turned up here now (it’s 6.00pm) and again not sure if it is the night employee or another tourist.

    First photos are Goosenecks and Panoramic Viewpoint.
    Read more