Satellite
  • Day 5

    Monastery of Jeronimos Vasco Da Gama tom

    June 10, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Close up of the Confessionals

    the south portal doors now shut and that cross the order of Christ- on the red cloth. Henry the Navigator was the grand master of the Order of christ. It was the knights of the templar who defeated the moors in the 11th and 12th century

    Vasco Da Gama's tomb with close ups of three symbols on the sides. His ship - a Caraval - that -cross of the order of Christ, and the third symbol -the armillary, the sphere which is the symbol of King Manuelin, but it is his symbol because it was so important to early navigation. that was what allowed the explores to tell latitude.

    Rick steeves _ 1497 Vasco Da Gama (1460-1524) prayed in the small chapel that once stood here, He then set out with 4 ships, 150 men, state of the art maps, and the armillary sphere. a globe surrounded by moveable rings designed to determine the positions of the sun or other stars to help sailors track their position. Da Gama ws to confirm what earlier navigators had hypothesized, that the ocean recently discovered when Bartolomeu Dias round africa's cape of Good Hope was the same one seen by overland travellers to India. And hopefully da Gama would find a direct sea route to India.
    the symbols on the tomb, the cross from the military order of the soldier monks who funded his voyage, the Caravel, (the ship),
    By Christmas Da Gama rounds the cape of good hope after battling hostile ARabs in Mozambique. he arrives on the SW coast in Calicut in may 1498. trades for spices, and networks, heads home and arrives in Lisbon sept 1499. They had been away for 2 years and 2 months.
    Read more