Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 20

    Ollyantaytambo

    13. august 2022, Peru ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    At Ollyantaytambo we explored the temple of the sun (and yes, it was hot and sunny!). This was an impressive Inca structure consisting of amazing stone work and built from huge boulders that come from quarries across the river, high up a hillside at least 500 m above the Valley. Somehow the Incans moved and then meticulously shaped the boulders to ensure they fit excrly together. The stone blocks are so closely matched that a knife blade cannot be inserted between them! Scientists have theorized that the massive stones of Incan cities were hammered with other stones, broken with wooden or metal wedges, etched with organic acids or sanded with grains of sand and water. One scientist believes the Incas used gold, dish-shaped reflectors to concentrate the sun’s energy to carve the rocks with a beam of light.

    The site was partially destroyed by the Spanish when they invaded. They used stones from the temple to build the Catholic church in the valley.

    The buildings on the moutain opposite were used for storing cold goods, as they kept cool at altitude.

    There were three towers built at the top of the mountain - when the sunrise touched the first peak, it was 21 June, the second peak 21 September, and the third peak 21 December.

    Can you see the face of a 'God' on the mountain?
    Læs mere