Satellite
  • Day 6

    Dominica

    January 8, 2020 in Dominica ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    Dominica is a mountainous Caribbean island nation with natural hot springs and tropical rainforests. Morne Trois Pitons National Park is home to the volcanically heated, steam-covered Boiling Lake. This lake is the second largest hot lake in the world. The park also encompasses sulphur vents, the 65m-tall Trafalgar Falls and narrow Titou Gorge.

    There are 365 rivers on this island. Agriculture was their prime source of income, but now it becomes more and more tourism. The island is not very developed yet. There are no highrise hotels and restaurants.

    Our tour started at 9:30. We got out of the ship at 9:00AM, met our guide Alvin and another couple.
    Our first stop was Champagne beach. This beach was named "Champagne Beach" because of small gas bubbles continuously rise from the volcanic sea floor. The beach itself is not very attractive, but the underwater suppose to be amazing. Unfortunately, the waves were very strong, so the water was milky. We decided that it is not wise for Boris to snorkel in this condition, but I went.

    There was a long swim until we reached bubbles and it was very interesting. Looked like big pieces of crystal are rising from the ocean floor. And the water in that area was much warmer. We saw some fish, barracuda and corals.
    Our second stop was Titou Gorge.

    Titou Gorge means “Little Throat” and this special attraction was formed by volcanic lava which cooled and split open, leaving this natural cave. The water is much cooler then in the sea.
    First plunge was very refreshing, then you get use to it. Then we had to swim may be 100 years to reach the end of the gorge. The at the end of the gorge there is an opening with a small pool and the waterfall. It was totally worth the hard work. Boris gave me an underwater camera, but the battery was very low and I could not take pictures.

    Our third stop was Trafalgar waterfall. There is some hike to get to it, but Boris did it. The place is so lush and the weather was so good. The best part was that there were no tourists.

    Our last stop of the day was high point in the island where we could see a panaramic view of the shore and our ship.

    It was a very good tour.

    The internet is working very poorly, so no pictures.
    Read more