Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Admiralty Bay of King George Island

    January 30, 2020 in Antarctica ⋅ 🌧 36 °F

    We got up at 6:00 AM, dressed very warm and went on the deck. We were going toward King George Island of Antarctica. We went for a breakfast and after that right to the front of the ship on deck 3.
    At 8:00 AM the captain and the naturalists started commentary and pointing on what to see. We slowly entered Admiralty bay. Admiralty Bay contains three fjords, and is protected as an Antarctic Specially Managed Area under the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty.

    Some facts from Wikapedia:

    In 2004, a Russian Orthodox church, Trinity Church, was opened on the island near Russia's Bellingshausen Station. The church, one of the southernmost in the world and one of the few permanent structures in Antarctica, is permanently manned by a priest.
    The first attempted murder in Antarctica occurred on the island in 2018 at Russia's Bellingshausen Station.

    Wow, wow, wow. Russians outperformed again. Sickening.

    We passed few base science stations: Polish, Peruvian and very big Brazilian. We could see people at this station waving to us.
    We also saw big group of penguins, few whales and birds.
    At some point it started raining, so we went inside. Then the weather got better and we were outside again. The commentary lasted till 10:00 AM. The next one will be around 4:00 PM when we approach Deception Island. It shaped as horse shoe with coldera in the middle. It is a volcanic island. We passed colony of 50,000 pairs of neckstrap penguins. There were also few seals walking and swimming.
    The captain turn the ship around few times so people on both sides could see them.

    Can't put any pictures. May be when we are out of Antarctica
    To see pictures go to the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTUh4zEoWWvEQvqYA
    Read more