Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Antarctica, Day 2

    January 31, 2020 in Antarctica ⋅ ☁️ 34 °F

    Today we went outside at 6:30 AM, scenic narrations started at 7:00 AM. We went on the top deck. It was cold and windy, there were few brave soles on the deck. More people joined us a little later.
    Shortly after 7:00 AM we entered Neumayer Channel. Neumayer Channel is a channel 16 miles long in a NE-SW direction and about 1.5 miles wide, separating Anvers Island from Wiencke Island and Doumer Island, in the Palmer Archipelago.
    It has majestic cliffs, and it is like a maze with no visible exits because of its inverted S-shape. Its entrance and exits both have sharp bends.
    The experience was amazing.
    We had a quick breakfast and went outside again. By 10:00 AM, we were really cold, so had some hot tea and back on the deck.
    Around 11:00 AM, our ship entered Paradise Harbor. The name was first applied by whalers operating in the vicinity and was in use by 1920. The harbor has three entrances. We entered the widest, but then the question was "Can we exit from the narrow north entrance"? If the iceberg is blocking the entrance, then the ship has to turn back.
    The captain approached very slowly. On the way we saw few humpback whales, seals and penguins. We were lucky and our ship passed through narrow north entrance by 2:00 PM.
    Finally, we could go to your cabin and get a little warmer (62 degrees in our cabin).
    To see the picture please go to the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZkcUzmcADQ7ghN1A
    Read more