Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Buenos Aires, Argentina. Day 1.

    February 25, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    This is our third time visit to this beautiful city. We decided not to book any tours and go on our own.
    We got out of the ship around 9:00am, took a required shuttle that got us out of the port and then met another couple that became our friends (Younga and Dave) and started walking thru not very good neighbourhood to the center of the city.
    Our first destination was its center… Plaza de Mayo, lined with stately 19th century buildings including Casa Rosada, the iconic presidential palace. It has the balcony on which Madonna stood when the movie “Evita” was filmed. And also where Eva and Juan Peron were addressing people in 1940s and 1950s.

    Boris and our friends also visited a Cathedral, the main Catholic church in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It is located in the city center, overlooking Plaza de Mayo, on the corner of San Martín and Rivadavia streets, in the San Nicolás neighbourhood. It is the mother church of the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires and the primatial church of Argentina. Unfortunately, I had to stay outside with a wheelchair.

    We continue walking toward Teatro Colon which we visited in 2020. It’s one of the best theatres of South America. We could not visit it, they were maintaining lights or something like that. Then just around the corner we spotted a very grand synagogue. Unfortunately, it was Saturday and the place was closed.

    We continued walking toward Recoleta cemetery where Eva Peron is resting. This cemetary is the first public cemetary in the city was built in 1822 by French engineer Prosperous Catelin. Throughout its five hectares, the majestic pantheons and mausoleums belonging to many of the most important figures in Argentina. We all been in this cemetery before, but our friends missed Eva Peron grave. This time we found it. We spent some time wondering through the allies of the cemetery.

    We did a lot of walking by now, so we found a taxi and went back to the ship. We only walked 7 miles this day.

    We had to get ready for a special event in the evening.

    At 4:30pm we got on the provided transportation to the event and tango show. We had very good three course dinner with wine and a fabulous tango show. An amazing evening.
    Tomorrow is another day in Buenos Aires.
    Read more