Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Day 2.

    March 4, 2023 in Brazil ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    It was already 77F at 6:00am. We had some quick breakfast in our cabin and by 7:00am were ready to go.
    We met Erin and Mui in the cruise ship terminal and walked few blocks to meet our tour guide at 7:30am.
    Already it was HOT. Today with a heat index suppose to be 98F in the shade.

    Yesterday I checked google and according to it Sugarloaf opens at 8:00am on Saturday. When we came there close to 8:00am, we were first, but they opened at 8:30am.
    We got on the first lifter to the lower platform and took another one to the very top. It was perfect, the blue sky, clear view, amazing. No matter how many times you see it, the view from every point never gets old. In addition having a good tour guide helps the perfect experience.
    When we were getting back, there was a big line to get in with people packed very tightly.

    Our next stop was Selaron Staircase. Last time when we were in Rio, we had to walk few block thru the worst place we have ever been. Lots of drug addicts laying on the street. We had to step over the bodies. This time our guide parked right across the stairs. Lots of people, can’t see tiles. We spent few minutes there, took few pictures and got back in the car. In addition it was extremely hot 🥵.

    Then we drove to Catedral Metropolitana de Sao Sebastian. The architecture is inspired by the Mayan pyramids. It was built in 1960th, and can accommodate up to 20,000 people.
    Then we crossed 13 km bridge across the bay to Nitenói. There we saw few interesting contemporary buildings.
    By now we were ready for lunch. Carlos took us to a seafood restaurant and we had a great lunch.
    Full and happy, we drove to another park to see another views. To get there, the tour guide had to turn air conditioner in the car and drive all the way up without stopping.
    The view from the top was fantastic plus we saw people do paragliding from the platform.
    We were back on the ship by 4:00pm. It felt good to take a shower and rest.
    Read more