Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Maputo, Mozambique

    April 11, 2023 in Mozambique ⋅ ☁️ 77 °F

    Today, I joined a walking tour organized by Erin. Boris could not go, since the tour guide told Erin the path will not be passable for a wheelchair. He was correct.
    We met our tour guide, Hendy at 10am and after a short introduction, proceeded to a beautiful building….train station.

    It was constructed from 1908 to 1916 in the Beaux-Arts style. Widely recognized for its attractiveness, the station has been ranked by international publications as one of the world's most beautiful. In addition to function as a central railway station, it has a museum, restaurants and holds concerts.

    After visiting some monuments and a red light district with hotels by the hour, we went to a fortress. Maputo Fortress, also known as Fortress of Our Lady of Conception, is a national historical monument related to the history of the Portuguese presence in the country and local resistance.

    We also visited a botanical garden. Actually, it looks more like a small park with almond trees and bats on the trees.
    We visited an independent squire with a monument of the first Mozambican president. After he was killed in a plane accident, his wive marred Nelson Mandela. So she was First Lady twice in two different countries.

    Our last stop was a market where I got some cashews nuts. These market has the biggest hair extensions selection anywhere in Africa.
    It was a very good walking tour.
    Read more