Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Nosy Be, Madagascar

    April 16, 2023, Indian Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    Nosy Be is an island off Madagascar’s northwestern coast. In the southeast, the forests of Lokobe Reserve shelter chameleons, geckos and frogs. The capital, known as Hell-Ville, has French colonial buildings and a covered market. Lemuria Land is home to a variety of lemurs, plus reptiles. Also in the park is a 19th-century distillery still used to extract essential oils from the native ylang-ylang tree.

    Our plan for today was go to Lemuria Land. Erin and Mui agreed to put up with us and go together. I was a litte concerned about Boris. We did not have any information on how long or difficult the walk will be in the park.

    We took a first tender boat to the shore and were on the island around 10:30am. It was already very hot.
    We tried to get a taxi to the park and the first quote was 100 euros, after short negotiation, we lower that to 40 euros. That was ok. All four of us got into a small sedan without air conditioner and when we asked for air, the price went 5 euros up.
    We did not like it and got out of the car. Short walk later we fount lots of parked Tuk-Tuks and for $20 a couple round trip went to the park.

    Fifteen minutes later we were in the park. Paid entrance fee and were greeted by a private guide who took us on the walk.
    The walk was about 40 minutes.
    We saw very interesting trees, flowers, turtles (all different sizes and colors), snakes, crocodiles, lizards and many many different lemurs. There are 117 different varieties of lemurs in Madagascar.
    We had a chance to feed and hold lemurs.
    By the end of our walk, we were really hot and tired, but Boris did really good, did not complained at all.

    We were back on our tender boat by noon and were glad to be back on the ship to take shower and cool down.
    It was a good short tour and I do not think we could be outside much longer. Way too hot.
    Read more