Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Mumbai, India. Day 1

    April 30, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    We have been in Mumbai in 2017 and loved the tour company and our tour guide. So, Erin arranged to have the same lady for our two days in Mumbai this time.
    After going through face-to-face inspection in the cruise ship terminal, fingerprints anybody under 70 years old stamping our passports and papers, out group of 6 met outside of terminal.
    Shortly, we met our guide and got very comfortable in the van. When we got to the gate of the terminal, our friend Pat did not have a stamp on her paper. She was told, she does not need it. Well, the guard would not let us drive thru, we had to go back to get the stamp.

    After that, we drove to see slums. It’s the largest slums in India. This one is populations one million. No pictures allowed. Even if I try to describe it, it would be impossible. The explanation was given: it’s a way of live, it’s a community.
    Everyone is doing something: bringing old washing mashing, printer, refrigerator. Next, others disassemble them to the last screw. Next group is breaking parts to a small piece, wash pieces, make bricks of plastic, aluminum, wires and sells them. Everyone makes a little money. The living condition is from basically a cot on the street to a something like apartment. There are stores, services, pharmacies, clinics.
    While waiting for our van, we saw a large group of people dressed very festive. Our guide told us it is a wedding and in a few minutes we were dancing with locals.
    Our van came and we drove to a very nice restaurant for a lunch.
    After lunch break, we visited as our guide explained a very important Catholic Church. After that we drove to a old Portuguese village, tried some fruits that we never seen. Unfortunately, Boris was very tired after walking around in the heat and stayed on the bus.
    We came back on the ship around 4:00pm. Need some rest before another day in Mumbai.
    Read more