Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Hilo, Hawaii

    January 11 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    We got out of the ship at 8:00 AM. The plan for today was walking and exploring Hilo.
    While assembling a wheelchair and attaching a motor to it, one screw broke. Oops, no motor for today. That changed our plans.

    We still decided to walk to the Japanese Gardens. It was approximately 35 min walk.
    After spending 30 min in the Garden, we kept walking along the shore toward downtown.

    It was getting hot, so we took a quick Uber ride to Lyman Museum. Glad we did it, as the road was going steep up the hill.
    The Lyman Museum building, next door to the Mission House, was constructed in 1971 and houses a superb collection of artifacts and natural history exhibits as well as special exhibitions, archives, and a gift shop.

    After visiting museum and cooling down, we walked down to the shore and the town.
    We wondered around the town, ate some quick lunch (wish we selected lunch place more carefully) and then visited market with stalls of local produce.
    After that we walked to ACE hardware store to purchase screws and nuts.
    Pretty tired after lots of walking, we took another Uber back to the ship.

    Some fruits and ice cream were welcome addition….
    The motor is fixed. Life is good.

    Two more days of rest till the next port.
    Read more