Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Hobart, Tasmania. AU

    February 28 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    For some reason I overlooked this port. Nothing was planned.
    All ship tours were sold out. I found short one tour online to go to Mt. Wellington. Great, we can spent the rest of the day in the town.
    When we came to meet our tour, I asked if they have any afternoon options. They had a tour to historic Richmond Village and Bonorong sanctuary. Great, we will have one hour break between tour to grab some lunch.
    When we got on the bus, the tour guide/driver told us we can stay with him all day long. Some people were taking all day tour.

    The morning drive to Mt. Wellington took 30 min.

    The views from Mount Wellington are amazing. We were fortunate to have a lovely clear day and were able to wander around and see the views in all directions. The road up is narrow, steep, winding and 2 way traffic, including buses, so it's a bit hairy.

    We came back around noon and our next stop was The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. Beautifully manicured grounds, unfortunately we had only 40 min to walk around. We rushed to see beautiful Japanese gardens and rushed back to our bus.

    Fifteen minutes later we arrived to Richmond Village.

    The intact colonial-era town has more than 50 Georgian buildings, many operating as cafes, restaurants, galleries and accommodation. Richmond Bridge (1825) is the oldest bridge in Australia.
    We settle in one of this restaurants and has a great lunch. Unfortunately, that did not leave us time to explore the village.

    Back on the bus we went to the sanctuary. Lots of animals. The only probe it was an afternoon and quite warm and animals were resting and hiding from the sun. I had a chance to walk among kangaroos and feed them. Also we saw Tasmanian devil.

    Overall it was a good stop.

    We came back on the ship at 5:30PM, took a shower and were planning to go back on the shore (the ship was in port till 5:00AM next day), for dinner, but then we felt so tired and not very hungry and decided to have a light dinner on the ship and go to sleep. It was a good decision as around 6;30 there was a pouring rain and lightning.
    Tomorrow we have another port day.
    Read more