Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Winnipeg and The Golden Boy

    October 8, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Last Day in Winnipeg.
    Walked down to the river where the last surviving relic of the original settlement here -one on the gate entries of Fort Gary. From there we walked along the riverbank to their Legislative Building. From the river we ascended a stairs that lead to a beautiful fountain and on to the parliament building. On top of the building is The Golden Boy.
    Today is Sunday and the day before Thanksgiving Day so parliament was extremely quiet and almost ghostly. The Canadians definitely know how to impressively house their politicians. Lots of marble, impressive staircases and statues.
    Back along the river we returned to the The Forks Market for an early dinner, Sri Lankan curry again, a beer and a walk further along the river back to our hotel.
    We had extended our stay half a day in the hope that the train would arrive close to the scheduled time of 8.45pm and that would be all we needed. At 6pm we checked the train status and and estimated time had shifted back to mid-night. Off we went to the Regal Beagle, the hotel’s bar, for a drink and relax on their lounges. Sunday night turned out to be karioke night run by a young Philipino, and quite the young character. It was an interesting evening. “Sing me a song pianoman.” The bar was an assortment of lonely hearts and odd bods, regulars who came to have a sing but not necessarily listen to each other.
    Another status check and the time was extended to 3am. At midnight we claimed our baggage and headed for the station. We checked in our baggage and headed for some seats for a bit of shut eye.
    Goodnight.
    Read more