Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Moving On - Winnipeg to Tronto

    October 9, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Surprise, surprise! Our train was scheduled for 8.45pm last night and we finally left at 5.30 this morning.
    We left the prairies behind and headed out of Manitoba into Ontario and into a new time zone.
    The landscape today has been a lot rockier, numerous lakes and heavily forested with pines. The colours are beautiful with dark greens, soft lime greens and gold. The majority of the golds seems to be deciduous pines. I’ll have to google that one - didn’t realise that pines could be deciduous.
    From our previous overnight journeys in economy we have learnt to look for four seats that are facing each other as soon as we step into our carriage. Of course it isn’t always possible as many others have the same idea but the trick is not to dawdle on the generally long walk to the economy carriages and bag the prime seats. That is also hoping that enough people got off at that station to make those prime seats available. And yes we jagged them. Why are they prime? All foot rests can be put up to make almost a double bed. So some of the body is still in an upright position but sleeping is so much easier when you can stretch out and get the feet up.
    On the Edmonton to Winnipeg leg economy travellers were given the option to dine in the dining car, a privilege normally reserved for the sleeper travellers as it is included in their fare. I guess that when the sleeper section is not full tis option is given. For a very reasonable price a three course meal can be purchased and each meal that we have had so far has been very nice and certainly a cut above the cafeteria options.
    Today no one came around before lunch so I went and asked if there was a placement available for two. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Yes there was and so lunch and dinner was in the dining car. Generally not too many from economy take up the option anyway.
    Read more