Satellite
  • Day 36

    Train Anchorage to Talkeetna

    August 31, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    We had to be at the station an hour before the departure of 8.15 so it was another early start to the day. No breakfast for us! We had been offered a brekkie box to take with us but the crew are busy of a morning making breakfasts for the other guests so we declined.
    A beautiful sky this morning. All augers well for the journey.
    It was a good journey. There is commentary along the way explaining points of interest and giving facts and other interesting information. The young girl giving most of the commentary was a hoot. Her moose call, “here moosie, moosie”, will stay with me forever, I think. She had the entire train laughing.
    It was raining when we arrived in Talkeetna and Sarah came down to the station to give us a lift.
    Talkeetna looks to be a quaint country town, quaint and small. The Main Street is tarred and the others are dirt, or mud as the case is at the moment as they got a bit of rain today.
    Our Airbnb is called Window Tree Walk Up and it is the upstairs section of the Dragonfly Guest Cottage. Cute! And cute it is. This will do just fine for a few days.
    A quick walk down to Nagley’s,the local grocery, and we realised that we wouldn’t be doing the meals ourselves in this Airbnb. The small range of foods was definitely catering for the carnivore with lots of frozen meats and very little else on offer. Apparently the locals do their shop in another community a bit of a drive from here. So .... creative thinking is in order. The Roadhouse is a bakery and has some options for breakfast that we can eat at home. It also has a small selection of vegetarian meals and we cam scout out the other options in town. There aren’t many mind, it’s a small town but they do attract tourists during the day so there are options to explore.
    Read more