Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Uluwatu sunset

    February 5, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Enjoyed the close of the day at Uluwatu, which has been an active temple site for almost a thousand years. It is on top of a massive cliff and just remarkable. Crashing waves 100 feet below, beautiful cliffs and jungle all around, and a fresh breeze to top it off. Would be a perfect place to sit and meditate, if not for the thousands of noisy tourists like us! Can see why people would have located temples here so long ago.

    The big attraction is to stay for the sunset, which was stunning. Not sure the pictures really do it justice, but we had just about the perfect collection of clouds to catch all the colours. Very impressed by the shadows cast by one set of clouds on the bottom of a higher set as the sun dropped below the horizon.

    The kids spent most of the time playing their “stuffed bear game”, so missed most of the sunset. They have a running story where their bears are traveling in rocket ships all over the solar system and having adventures. Monkey’s the chief (of course) and Red Rabbit is the baddy (badger) who’s trying to nuke everybody. They’d hang out at the sun, but it’s currently being cleaned and so the Moon and Jupiter are the go-to places. This story keeps them amused for hours whenever it’s running, so the rest of us just shut up and enjoy the - not “silence” exactly, but at least no arguing or punching! Managed to get a sneaky video recording of part of the adventure and will have to play it back to them one day.
    Read more