Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Learning a bit about Islam

    February 15, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    It really is unfortunate that we chose a Friday (Jum'ah) to learn a bit about Islam - at least we learned that it is the weekly day of congregation and prayer (Jumu'ah) and therefore mosques are either closed entirely or only open for limited hours. All the same, at 3pm in the afternoon, we were allowed to stampede along with the rest of the tourist herd into the National Mosque. It was rather understated, with little “ancient” architecture or interesting features (e.g., cathedral crypts, bell towers, etc.). Of course this does makes total sense given that it is a place of worship and reflection - not a tourist attraction!

    We decided to take the kids into town to see Masjid Jamek, which is much older (actually the oldest religious site in Kuala Lumpur) and more traditionally constructed. Unfortunately we discovered that Masjid Jamek is not open at all on Fridays! The security guard was kind enough to let us in just past the gate to take a look and snap a photo. We also managed to capture a brief moment of respite from the heat by the mosque's beautiful fountain.
    Read more