Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Learning by exploring at Fukagawa Edo

    July 2, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The Fukagawa Edo is a great place for kids to hang out and learn a bit about Japanese history and culture. Unlike other museums, the Fukagawa is a reproduction of an old fishing village where Davy, Meg and Ben could stomp around in the villagers' huts and touch all the things they liked! We had fun making tea, dehusking rice, learning how the Japanese used to cook and honour their ancestors, as well as trying on ancient raingear (the museum actually simulates the lights and sounds of the four seasons - albeit thankfully no actual rain).

    The interactive multimedia sections of the museum featured a number of interesting (for Mommy and Poppy too!) and informative videos on artisanal silk-screening, ancient strongman competitions, Japanese woodworking, sumo wrestling, and the construction of the museum itself using traditional materials and methods. Another superb thing about the Fukagawa was that floating throughout the village were quasi-English-speaking guides who were more than happy to share their knowledge and experiences. All in all, a very nice hands-on way to spend a good half-day.
    Read more