Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Walhalla

    October 13, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Davor started the day by helping his sister pick quitten from the tree in her garden. He had to use a long pole that had a claw and basket attached to it. The claw to pick the quitten and then it was supposed to be caught in the basket. (Pic 1)That didn’t often happen and they would fall to the ground, but they are big, and hard so you had to be careful not to get hit!! (Pic 2) “Quitten” are quince and Davor’s sister makes jelly out of them but mixes in other fruit.
    Then we went to the Walhalla, the German Hall of Fame and honors distinguished people in German history. It is modeled on the Parthenon in Athens.
    As you can see in pic 3 the Walhalla was built high above the Danube River (pics 4-6). Crown Prince Ludwig 1 of Bavaria conceived the idea of the Walhalla in 1807 (pic 7). Pics 8-11 are of the inside of the Walhalla, there are about 100 busts of famous Germans and they are still adding more.
    Pic 12 is in memory of those who stood up against the injustice, violence and terror of the Nazi era.
    We enjoyed lunch in a nearby restaurant with a nice garden (pic 13).
    We visited Davor’s mom a third time. (Pic 14)

    Highlight of the day: the view of the Danube River from the Walhalla.
    Read more