Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Downtown Munich

    October 15, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    In Munich we got around with public transportation. A bus right outside our Airbnb took us to a nearby underground station and we took the “UBahn” into town. The first pic is of the long, steep escalator you take to get out of the UBahn station downtown and a pic of the train (pic2).
    As you step out of the station into the center of town you immediately see the New Rathaus, the new town hall(pic 3). A closeup shows you basically the big music box that moves and the characters dance, every hour. (Pic 4). A huge tourist attraction. Then if you turn around you’ll see pic 5, the Old Rathaus.
    Pic 6 is the opera house, pic 7 is the Frauenkirche. It’s the church with 2 towers in the background. It’s hard to get a clear pic of it because it’s in the middle of town.
    Pics 8 & 9 are a couple things you’ll see as you walk around.
    Pics 10-16 are my favorite church in Munich! Theatinerkirche! Last time I visited it was covered in scaffolding because they were renovating the outside. It was so fun to see it uncovered! It was built from 1663-1690 and was a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long awaited child who was heir to the Bavarian crown. It’s built in the baroque style and is heavily ornamented but, because it is all white inside, it’s not so overwhelming like a lot of European churches. I think that’s why I like it. It’s a calming breath of fresh air to sit inside, and take in the beauty of the church.
    In the evening we were invited to a concert with our friend Dagmar. (Pic 17)The concert was in a concert hall of a castle in the middle of town (pic 18). We listened to Giuseppe Verdi’s Requiem. I’m not normally a classical music fan but it was wonderful as the music filled the hall. One of the choirs was on both sides of the balcony, trumpets sounded from the balcony and onstage was a second choir, full orchestra and 4 soloists. Afterwards we went to a Weinkellar nearby for a glass of wine and some cheese to snack on before we had to say goodbye to our friend.

    Highlight of the day: seeing the Theatinerkirche
    Read more