Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Campeche to Calakmul

    February 20 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We spent the morning exploring more of beautiful Campeche, it's a very chill city and might be our favourite so far. Around lunchtime we struck off for Calakmul...these ruins were made famous by David Attenborough when he visited them and the famous bat cave nearby, but as they are very off the beaten track we had read that they don't see too many tourists....and you can still climb them! 1st leg of the journey was a 3.5 hr drive and stay overnight in a remote campsite! We finally arrived and met Fernando our host. He directed us 500m to the nearest restaurant (for about 60km) where we enjoyed a fantastic meal even though we weren't sure what we were eating. Next up we enjoyed a hike around the property and views from the lookout tower (not me!). We saw howler monkeys, Fernando had warned us that they would scream and not be afraid! Barry informed us they are the loudest animals on earth....no wifi/google so I couldn't fact check that!
    Night fell and we gathered in the common room awaiting the generator to turn on for lights....it didn't....that isn't an option...so we retreated to our tent for a monopoly deal and early to bed. There were only two more groups of campers (Blair witch vibes)
    Read more