Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 52

    Tikal

    20 maart, Guatemala ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We had an early start to meet the Queensland gang in the hotel reception (the kids were so excited to see their cousins). We grabbed two Ubers and headed for the airport. We arrived but no sign of the others...their uber was stuck in heavy traffic, they barely made check in ....a very tense start to the day!
    We arrived in Flores, picked up our rental car and headed to Tikal. The Lodge is incredible!! It was built for the national geographic team when they excavated Tikal and is full of history. The kids enjoyed some time cooling off in the pool before we headed into the ruins for the afternoon. Johnathan was our guide and led us through the ruins which are huge (16m2). It had been thought 20% of Tikal ruins had been uncovered but an aerial survey with advanced detection technology discovered the ruins are far more extensive than previously thought and they have only uncovered 5%. We climbed temple IV and looking out over the jungle was incredible,it stretched to the horizon in every direction and it was easy to imagine all the ruins that were out there still undiscovered. There was so much wildlife to see, the jungle was filled with monkeys, toucans, eagles and coati. Dinner was delicious and we had a lovely relaxing evening.
    Meer informatie