Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Middle of the Earth

    April 11 in Ecuador ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    What a day!! Two museums in one day and non stop fun! First up the historical middle of the earth museum (Mitad del Mundo)! The original centre of the earth was marked in 1736 by Charles Marie de la Condamine. This is where the huge monument and visitor park is. In 2000 the US army using GPS pinpointed the centre of the earth only 200 meters further to the left, given the lack of technology in 1736 an impressively small error! The newer technological museum ( Museo Intinan) has been built here!
    Both museums are excellent and each worthy of a visit. We all enjoyed trying the experiments, Darragh and Rowyn helping out with a few! Both Barry and I balanced the egg on the nail which was surprisingly difficult!! The water flowing in a different direction in each hemisphere (only a meter apart) was impressive!! This place really lived up to all our expectations with a few surprises....like a 175 year old shrunken head!! The Sashi tribe in Ecuador shrunk the heads of their enemies to take their secrets!! These days the tribe only shrink animal heads for educational purposes, sloth head also on display!
    Back in Quito we decided to venture to the opposite side of the historical centre for a stroll before dinner. We hadn't gone far before we were stopped by the tourist police and advised to go back as it's not very safe in that direction, phew! Danger averted we enjoyed our dinner and our last night in Quito (for now)
    Read more