Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 8

    Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli

    13. toukokuuta 2019, Italia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Took the Naples Metro Line 2 both going and coming back. Got off and passed a small park located on the same side of the road and just up the hill from that was the brick building housing the Archaeological Museum that has famous statues from the Caracalla Baths and mosaics and frescoes from Pompei and Herculaneum where we would be meeting a gude at 15:00. We knew it was a tight time line and we used Rick Steve's one hour audioguide to do the quick tour. We had packed a sandwich which we ate while looking at the map of the museum. Could have definitely spent one hour more there, the trade off being then that we would need to use a day to trek back to to the archaeological sites once in Sorrento and we didn't want to use our precious 3 days to do that. Admired the Farnese Bull which is quite incredible and the damaged areas were replaced by various artists (e.g. the dog was done by Michelangelo). Hercules was a Roman knock-off of a Greek bronze original and became a popular mass production, gracing gardens all around Europe during the 1700-1800s. The Alexander the Great conquest mosaic was amazing - such intricate art work done in mosaic.

    Official site:
    https://www.museoarcheologiconapoli.it/en/
    Lue lisää