Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Ercolano (Herculaneum)

    May 13, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We took the metro back to the train station , picked up our luggage and a couple of drinks to go and made for the ticket booth for the Circumvesuviana train which runs from Naples to Sorrento. There are two lines - an express "tourist" or the much grittier "commuter" train which probably stops 25 times and you are warned to watch for pick pockets. Got on the commuter train both times as it was the only one that fit with our schedule. It provided to be a memorable experience (stood up a lot of the way, quite rickety, did not have any untoward incident but later met a lady who was aware that someone was trying to get into her purse). Quite a few tourists with baggage on the train; would not want to take it late at night for sure. Fair hill going down from the train station to Herculaneum but lined with pleasant looking restaurants; nothing scruffy about the place and I'd certainly entertain a one night stay. Met our guide Antonio from Askos tours who provided an in-depth enthusiastic and caring commentatary as he ferried us about this very interesting site. We left with a very good idea of a typical Roman home layout. There were many well preserved areas including mosaics and even charred wood where beams were and the pots where "take out" food Roman style was served from. There was another British couple with us. Despite the blue sky initially, it started to rain fairly heavily and we cut our guide short as he went overtime and we wanted to catch the train in order to get our 18:45 shuttle van to Villa Carolina.

    Article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herculaneum
    Read more