Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Walk to Sorrento

    May 14, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We decided to walk instead of taking the shuttle to go into town. It is a fairly steep grade in the middle portion with a series of switchback steps. By the end, Doug was not feeling like he would want to do them again and certainly not if it was slippery. On the way down we passed by little monuments depicting the 14 stations of the cross. It was surprising that a church had been built half way up and it must have taken some doing to bring all the materials up the incline plus build the walkway. The walkway spilled out quickly onto Corso Italia, the main drag. Compared with anything we had experienced in Rome, this was Italy Disneyed up for the tourists but still containing authentic establishments. Despite the tourist vibe, it was an enjoyable, relaxed place, not overly crowded and felt very safe. It did contrast sharply with the crumbling look of the hospital which was located on the same street. Nancy dropped into a couple of souvenir shops, bought some candies for Julia while Doug strolled the street (refuses to go into any of them due to his clumsiness around fragile objects.

    Distance: 8,411 steps

    Live map:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fwG82B2gkWOXV…
    Read more