Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Galata Tower

    October 4, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Leaving the hotel is a nice neighbourhood before arriving at the Galata Tower just a few blocks from my hotel on my way to the bridge below. This tower was built to replace the Great Tower (Megalos Pyrgos) a Byzantine tower which was destroyed in 1204 and no longer stands. The Galata Tower or Tower of Christ was constructed in 1348 by the Genoese during the Middle Ages. The tower was built to guard the entrance to the Golden Horn. Over the years the tower underwent renovations several times and during the Ottoman Era the tower was used to look out for fires. At the time of its construction the tower was the tallest structure in the city; together with its height it is located on an elevated piece of land which gives the illusion that it is even taller than it actually is. It is built out of 3.8m thick stone walls and is 67m tall and 16m in diameter.

    It was too early, so I did not go up although a ticket came with my pass, just never was near it at the right times. From the observation deck circling the turret you can get brilliant views across the city. On the same level there is a restaurant and on the upper floor there is a night club where you can see a show featuring traditional Turkish music and dance.

    The Bereketzade fountain just beside the tower was rebuilt in 1732 on the site of an older fountain that was beside the oldest mosque in Galata., Then leaving the tower it is an incredibly steep old lane down to the waterfront.
    Read more