Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Spice Bazaar

    October 4, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    So, leaving the mosque, it was thankfully downhill through more narrow streets. One thing you see a lot is deliveries are made by men pulling carts. Istanbul is also afflicted with the scooter problem, and it is even more perplexing here with the crowds and the cobblestones and the hordes of motor scooters.

    The next stop is the Spice or Egyptian Market. It was really a neat place.

    Misir Carsisi or the Egyptian Market is one of Istanbul’s largest bazaars. It is believed that the market got its name because it was built using funds from the Ottoman division in Egypt in 1660 and completed in 1664. The profits from the market would be used for the upkeep of the mosque but today the market is a separate entity. Although the name suggests that all the stores in the market sell spices more and more bazaar businesses are selling a variety of goods like cheese, nuts, fruit, sweets, souvenirs and other items. Today there are approximately 85 stores selling spices and other goods. The covered market building is surrounded by small lanes which also have many stores selling interesting goods. On the western side of the market are outdoor stalls selling fresh produce including coffee.
    Read more