Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Rustem Pasa Mosque

    October 4, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I had some trouble locating this mosque at first as it is just built right into the surrounding markets, but it was worth the extra few minutes as it is just filled with stunning tile work.

    The mosque was originally constructed in 1560 and was the first project of Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan. The interior is decorated with intricate Iznik faience tiles. These tiles are some of the best produced and feature bright red which was one of the rarest and most complex colors to produce in Iznik tiles. The tiles cover the walls, mihrab and mimbar. The mosque has a single minaret and central dome. The mosque doors are carved and feature inlaid wood and gilding.

    The mosque is named after Rustem Pasha (1500-1561) who was the son-in-law of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent and has gone down in history as the man who plotted with Suleyman’s wife Roxelana to denounce Prince Mustafa and put Roxelana’s son, Prince Selim on the throne. Prince Selim the Sot’s reign signified the beginning of the end of the Ottoman Empire. When Rustem had his mosque built he had to be careful not to rival the beauty and size of the Sultan’s mosques. So, he chose to build it in the marketplace and focus on the mosque’s interior decoration with the tiles rather than exterior grandeur. I'll say it worked!
    Read more