Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    The Duke's Diwan

    October 11, 2022 in Jordan ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The word ‘diwan’ means ‘the guest’s place,’ a fitting name for this restored Levantine house. The Duke's Diwan is an old townhouse built in 1924 that was originally the first post office in Amman. It later housed the Ministry of Finance, and was then used as a hotel. The doors and windows are the originals from the early 1900s. Locally known as the Duke of Mukhaybeh, Mamdouh Bisharat, who is a notable businessman in Jordan, undertook the restoration. The house is the oldest residence in Amman, and is located near the downtown area.

    It is a restored house with furnishings from the 1920s and there are a number of items from the period when it was the Haifa Hotel. Although retored, the surfaces and walls certainly show their age. It is interesting that the oldest house in this ancient city was built in 1924. Testament to the observation that each civilization- Greek, Roman, Byzantine Ottoman etc just builds on top of their predecessor.

    Out front is a balcony with a view over the busy shopping street below.

    On entering, you are offered a tea to enjoy as you contemplate the surroundings.
    Read more