Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Museums of Popular Tradition & Folklore

    October 11, 2022 in Jordan ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    These two small museums are inside the entrance to the Roman Theatre.

    The Jordanian Museum of Popular Traditions showcases traditional items from Jordanians and Palestinians in order to preserve their heritage for the future. and was opened in 1971. There are displays with traditional costumes and mannequins, masks, and jewelry, cooking utensils and vessels, brides’ dresses, and jewelry from the West Bank are found in the fourth hall. One room contains 6th century mosaics from Jerash and Madaba’s Byzantine churches. It was all very colourful and attractive.

    The Jordan Folklore Museum is divided into different facts of life in the country. Various sections show exhibits including work, home life, farming, professions, markets, housing, and more. The museum exhibits cover the 19th and early 20th centuries.
    I learned a little about the desert, Bedu culture, and culture in towns and cities from seeing the clothes, jewelry, old household utensils, tools, traditional daggers, and a mosaics section. The Bedouin section of the museum shows a tent made of goat hair, and various tools used by Bedouins. Also see looms, coffee grinders, costumes, tea-making utensils, and the rababa, a Bedouin instrument that uses only one string.
    Read more