Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Basilica of the Annunciation

    October 28, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    The next day, I got off to an early start to take my rental car and do a driving tour of the Galilee region, the heart of Christ's 'ministry'.

    The first stop was in Nazareth. The was Jesus's hometown, and is a stop of the pilgrimage route.

    It is a historical fact that after the Nativity, the family returned to Nazareth where Jesus grew up and worked as a carpenter. He left Nazareth in his early 30's when he was baptized (in an earlier footprint) and went into the desert for a bit of reflection before returning to the Galilee (but to Capernaum, not his home town) he left to start his ministry in nearby Galilee.

    This Catholic Basilica is built over alleged site where Mary and Joseph were living when the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary to tell her she would give birth to the Messiah, an event known as the Annunciation. Early pilgrims decided this was the spot and identified it and soon chapels and churches were built. Under the church is a grotto with what are claimed to be the foundations of Mary's childhood home. An old church was torn down in 1954 and this beautiful new building was put up in the late '60's. Around the sides where chapels might have been, are artworks sent by many countries. While there, Mass was being conducted, so wandering around was inappropriate but I got to pause and listen to the singing of Ave Maria. There is nothing that beats the acoustic perfection of music in a Cathedral!
    Read more