Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Praça do Comércio

    April 28, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Praça do Comércio was built on the site where the old Royal Palace used to exist before it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. It was for decades Lisbon's main commercial site and crucial for its maritime trade.

    The southern end of the plaza is open and looks out onto the Tagus River. The other three sides have yellow-colored buildings in the Pombeline style with arches all along the façade. When the square was first built, the commercial ships would unload their goods directly onto this square, as it was considered the “door” to Lisbon.

    Located on the north side is the Rua Augusta Arch which goes to the boulevard Rua Augusta, the most prominent boulevard in Baixa. This triumphal arch was designed by the Portuguese architect Santos de Carvalho to celebrate the reconstruction of Lisbon after the 1755 earthquake. It was completed in 1873. On top of its several pillars are numerous statues that represent important Portuguese figures like Vasco da Gama and the Marquis of Pombal.

    The bronze equestrian statue is of Joseph I of Portugal (1750 – 1777) who was King of Portugal during the Great Earthquake.
    Read more