Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Alameda de Hercules

    May 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    The Alameda de Hércules is a garden square or mall built in 1574, originally as a promenaded public garden, named after the eight rows of white poplar trees (álamos in Spanish) that fill its central part. It was the oldest public garden in Spain and Europe.

    Before its transformation, the square was a swampy pond.In 1574, the Count of Barajas drained the water, building irrigation channels and fountains, and planting lines of waterside white poplar trees. Two sculptures were placed atop the two southern columns: Hercules (mythological founder of Seville) and Julius Caesar (referred to as the restorer of the city during Roman rule). In the second half of the eighteenth century, two additional statues of lions with shields, representing Seville and Spain, were placed on the northern columns.

    The Alameda began to suffer a progressive deterioration, and became one of the poorest neighbourhoods of Seville, troubled by prostitution and drugs. A slow recovery began during the early 21st century, then public redevelopment funded by the city council totally renewed La Alameda in 2006-2008.
    Read more