Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Setas de Sevilla

    May 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We sat and admired this recently built structure, the Metropol Parasol, while we tried churros with chocolate sauce (dip the churro in) and our morning coffee break. Structure was amazing, churros we suspect should be a lot better!

    Popularly known as the Setas de la Encarnación, is the largest wooden structure in the world and is located in the central Plaza de la Encarnación .

    It has dimensions of 150 x 70m and a height of approximately 26m, and was the winning project of the competition opened by the City Council of Seville to carry out the rehabilitation of the square in which it is located; its designer was the Berlin architect Jürgen Mayer. The structure consists of six large mushroom-shaped parasols, whose design is inspired by the vaults of the cathedral of Seville and the ficus trees of the nearby Plaza del Cristo de Burgos.

    We just viewed from the ground, but it has five levels. The upper level houses a lookout plaza and a panoramic path on platforms that runs through most of the site. Inside the central parasols, at a height of 22 meters, there is a tapas restaurant and a space for events. At ground level is the Mercado de la Encarnación, along with retail and restaurant space. Finally, the basement houses the Antiquarium museum, which exhibits the archaeological remains found on the site.
    Read more